Friday, August 23, 2013

Cities of Steel and Glass

My Grandpa Mike was an amazing guy.

He was the third of four kids, the child of Slovak immigrants. He grew up in Pennsylvania and Ohio and didn't learn to speak English until he started school, but Cleveland was the only accent you'd ever hear on his voice. When he was 17, he lied about his age to join the Army Air Corps at the tail end of WWII without his mother's permission--and then he stayed in for 23 years, watching the AAC turn into the Air Force and going everyplace the Strategic Air Command could send you. He taught me to jitterbug, use a radial arm saw, and set a fire in a charcoal grill--and he taught me the joys of eating local.

"Ask the locals where they eat," he'd always say. "That's where you want to go."

He'd been doing it for years, fearlessly. He had every kind of sausage Germany had to offer when he was stationed there in the early 1950s. He knew how to say "Two beers, please" in thirteen different languages, because no way was he going to be one of those boring assholes who just stayed on post all the time because oh no, they might have to eat something weird. I was equal parts thrilled and horrified as a child by his story of eating bugs (bugs!) somewhere in the South Pacific. I went with him to every seafood restaurant in Carteret, Onslow, Jones, and Craven County - some amazing, some terrible, but never a big chain, because that would be cheating.

Grandpa and me, August of 1983.

I lost my grandpa in 2006, and I think about him a lot. Any time I fry up some seafood or build something or swing dance, he's somewhere in my head--and of course I started thinking of him as soon as I started my search for good local food on the trip. I know he would have just rolled into town and asked somebody in a grocery store where the best place to eat was, but he was way cooler than me. Grandpa never met a stranger and he could make friendly conversation with pretty much anyone. He would not only eat local, but probably have a dozen new friends by the time he left town. Lucky for me, I have the Internet. With a little help from Yelp; Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives; and Man vs. Food, I can eat the Grandpa Way without having to talk to unnecessary strangers. I like to think he'd approve, even if I don't have penpals across America by the time I get to Portland.

So without further ado...

Take it on the Run, Baby: Food Possibilities on Day One

Pittsburgh, PA

Pittsburgh will pop up approximately 3 hours into our drive. If we leave when I think we’ll probably leave (because I’m pretty sure I’m the only Morning Person on this trip), that’ll probably be around lunchtime.
Spice Island Tea House - I’ve never been to a tea house. That just seems cool.
Los Cabos SoCal Mex Food - The rice and beans are vegan, which Snarks will be into. The rest of it is not, which I am into.
Point Brugge Cafe - Belgian food. Which means there are frites, and I am all about the frites.
Nadine's - Atmosphere is reportedly dive-y, but I kind of dig dives.
Big Jim’s - This place has gloriously mixed reviews. It’s either awesome or terrible depending on who you ask, and I sort of want to go order a calzone and find out which it is.
Primanti Bros. Restaurant - Home of some epic-looking sandwiches.

Clearfield, PA

Denny’s Beer Barrel Pub  - Home of the World’s Largest Burgers. One of them is fifteen pounds, for heaven’s sake.

DuBois, PA

Dr. Doolittle’s Roadside Cafe and Creamery - Because it’s about time someone told the truth about the Amish, Bigfoot, and the dinosaurs.

Clarion, PA

This town is home to a large cow statue. I’m not sure there’s much purpose in stopping here, but just in case...
The County Seat Diner - They had me at “M&M Pancakes”
Toby Hill Bar and Grill - I love bar food. Reviewers claim this place has the best wings ever, and $1 drafts! $1!
Daddy’s Main St. - All made fresh with a daily-changing menu.

Strongsville, OH

My grandpa actually grew up in this suburb of Cleveland. It’s right on our path through Ohio, so maybe we’ll drop in. I feel like i should look for Slovak food around here, but...okay, truth be told, I’m not actually a huge fan of most Slovak food. Really I just want a Slovak bakery. Love me some roshky; not so much for halushky.
Sweet Mango Thai Cuisine - I can always get down on some Pad Thai
The Brew Kettle - Looks like a nice variety of pub grub.
La Kabob Lebanese Grill - I’m also always up for a kabob of virtually any kind, especially when pita is involved.
Donut Scene - An entire scene of nothing but donuts? Oh hell yes.

Toledo, OH

I cannot hear of Toledo, OH without thinking of Klinger from MASH. I realize I’m too young to be a MASH fan, but it used to come on between Animaniacs and Star Trek: TNG when I was a kid. Anyway, as such, I automatically want to eat at Beirut.
Grumpy’s - A sandwich shop, but apparently one with incredible character and delicious food.
Beirut - Lebanese! And the hummus is reportedly to die for.
Ottawa Tavern - If we’re crashing in Toledo, we’re gonna need a bar. This one’s atmosphere is described as “hipster” but reviews also say they have the best bar food in town.

2 comments:

  1. If you think of Klinger from MASH in Toledo, you should go to the original Tony Packo's :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smart Grandpa! I wish there were more local eats around our area.

    ReplyDelete