Elkhart, IN
Two hours into our drive, we reach Elkhart, IN, home of the RV Museum and Hall of Fame. If we feel the need to check it out, we can also grab food at one of these joints.
Miles Lab - a burger joint with excellent sweet potato fries, themed around Miles Laboratories, a pharmaceutical company originally headquartered in Elkhart.
Simonton Lake Drive-In - a traditional drive-in with Ordermatic menu and speakerbox. The root beer is repeatedly described as amazing, and though I’m not a root beer fan, I have a feeling some of my traveling companions may be. For me, there are onion rings.
Ricky’s Taqueria - Online reviewers say it’s delicious, flavorful, and cheap. All these things are my friends.
LaPorte, IN
If we hold out another hour for the La Porte Historical Society Museum and a look into the life of Belle “Husband Killer” Gunness, then we have these eatery options.
Spire Farm to Fork - Big city chef comes out to NW Indiana and opens a restaurant featuring locally sourced ingredients. Will it be quirky and fun or fussy and pretentious? Find out next on the Travel Channel.
Mucho Mas! - Apparently tons of food which is all delicious, and Mexican food usually makes for easy feeding of the vegetarian contingent.
Northside BBQ - They call the owner “The Meat Nazi.” Word is that he’s evil, but his ribs and brisket are incredible. This sounds exciting.
Gary, IN
Great Lakes Cafe - located at the entrance to a steel mill, everyone on Yelp describes this cafe as having not only delicious food, but an incredibly friendly staff and atmosphere. If we happen to be hungry in Gary, I want to stop here.
Chicago, IL
Obviously there are tons of amazing opportunities in Chicago. It’s a huge city with a rich and varied food history. I actually know some locals here, though, so should we end up hungry here, I’ll ask around.
Rockford, IL
A League of Their Own is one of my favorite movies of all time, and thus I really want to stop in at the home of the Peaches. If I can convince my traveling companions that it’s a good idea, here are some places we can eat.
Dandy Donuts - the donuts, they say, are dandy.
Sugarjones - I love a good bakery, and I extra love the name.
Janesville, WI
Should we feel the need to visit Bessie the Giant Fiberglass Cow or the two-story outhouse that Abraham Lincoln himself may have pooped in, we can also grab some food while we’re in town.
Culver’s - This is by far the best fast food I have ever put in my mouth. I had never been to a Culver’s until Jamie took me there when I went to visit her in Wisconsin, and oh my stars is it amazing.
Basics Co-op Natural Foods - The last time I took a chance and got food at a co-op, it turned out awesome. There are also good reports of their sushi.
Wisconsin Dells, WI
We land for the night in Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin’s very own epic and amazing tourist trap. I’ll be asking Jamie what’s up around there of course, as she’s a local (and I know there’s another Culver’s there). Without consulting with her, however, there is one place that I know I want to visit:
Kernel Popcorn Factory - Well-known fact amongst all my friends: I love popcorn. Love it. Even the Christmas I worked in a gourmet popcorn shop, surrounded constantly by the smell of popcorn, I still loved popcorn. I will be going to this place and making the car smell like popcorn for all of Day Three.
No comments:
Post a Comment